Thursday, November 17, 2011

A little bit of life & some embroidered stockings

It's almost the weekend! Thank goodness! It has been an extremely hectic week for me involving 2 papers, a presentation, a job interview at one of the largest defense contracting companies in the world, and preparing for a road trip!

In another hour or so, I'm heading off to Gainesville to spend the evening and night with my former roommate. Then it's on to Atlanta for the weekend to stay with a fantastic friend of mine. We went to high school together but actually didn't become friends until college. We have been planning this weekend together for about a month now, and then last weekend she got engaged! I love the man she is with, and actually helped her pick out clothes for their first date. She also recently found out she's allergic to gluten, so I have been baking her some gluten and peanut free yummies so we can celebrate.

So anyways, tomorrow I plan on going to Whipstitch! I am so stoked because I read Deborah's blog, and I've never been to a fabric store that was all modern. Yay! I'll let you know how it goes, and um, how much lighter my wallet is... :)

Ok, so on to my stockings! I needed another pair of stockings for my booth, and I whipped these guys up at the last minute.



I love Scandinavian inspired work, as I think it is so classic and understated. I don't want any of my decorations to compete with each other, but rather to all enhance each other. 



I used Essex linen in Natural, which has got to be my favorite neutral to use. The snowflakes are designed by me and stitched using Perle cotton size 8. There's some French knots in there, too, which always requires me to practice like 5 times before I get it right, and then it's smooth sailing for the rest of the project.




The insides are each a different green fabric, with the seams pinked. For some of the other stockings I did French seams, but it makes the finished product a lot smaller, and I was not in the mood to have to hand stitch the lining shut. I kind of like the pinked edges, and since stockings don't get washed it will be fine. The backs are just plain, with more Essex linen.They are hanging by an evergreen grosgrain ribbon that has been reinforced with stitching several times.

So this stocking pair actually did not get purchased at my craft fair, so they are listed in my Etsy shop :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages from friends :)