Thursday, May 31, 2012

Announcing the Christmas in July Event!

Raise your hand if you love the holidays.
Raise your hand if you love handmade at the holidays.
Raise your hand if you always have great intentions of handmade decorations and gifts and then it all gets lost in the frazzle that is the holidays.

Oh good, I'm not alone!


Enter Christmas in July. A well-known retail event where they break out some holiday-esque sales, I decided to turn this into a fantastical stitchy event.

Starting Monday July 2nd, and each Monday for four weeks during the month you will be able to find some great holiday tutorials and inspiration here at Sew Festive. There will be two tutorials on each of the Mondays; one will feature decor for your own home, and the other tutorial will feature something that can be made as a gift [although you could totally keep it for yourself too and nobody will tell!].

Monday July 30th there will be a linky party here to show off your finished holiday-inspired projects. They can be projects that were made based on the tutorials throughout the month or it can be that Christmas quilt from 5 years ago that you finally.got.the.binding.on. And there will be prizes :)

All types of stitching will be welcome, so if you cross-stitch or embroider or spin your own wool, there will be something for everyone!

The whole point of this event is that we want to cheer each other on and get some holiday sewing out of the way before it's actually the holidays and we don't have any more free time.

Sew Festive Handmade

So grab a button, and watch this space for some more info on who will be sharing tutorials and just what prizes might be in store!
ETA: I was having problems with the button, but I think I got them sorted out. So if you don't see an image please let me know :) Also, Katie helped me fix my code, so a BIG thanks to her!

**I announced the schedule and prizes in this post!

15 comments:

  1. My hand is raised high!! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so so much fun! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea! Fingers crossed starting now means the quilt I wanted for last Xmas will be ready for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun! I'm waiting on a Christmas Fabric line to come out (Dear Mr. Claus) so I can make a quilt - hopefully it will be out in time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for me - looking frward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect idea! I just purchased some Christmas fabric and I have every intention of creating something with it over the summer! Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hand is raised and waving...that is so me! I can't wait for July now. Love your idea and maybe it will help me to get a jump start and stay focused (at least for 1 month! ;-)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an inspired idea! Christmas is my favourite time of year, but also my busiest time of year, so pre-planning and making my stuff in July is the perfect thing for me. Count me in!
    beaniekins84(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I'm so happy I found your blog. Every year around October I have grand ambitions to make Christmas decorations for myself but every year they get pushed aside in favor of making gifts. This year I bought my fabric early (like in February) and I had planned on doing my own "Christmas in July" where I'd finally sit down and do it. Now that I found your blog it will be awesome to have some inspiration to push me into doing it. Yay Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am ready to jump start on the gifts now! I'm in!!! Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited! I have my holiday stash from last year all ready to actually make some things this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was already planning on an I-spy Christmas swap for July. Can I hop aboard your Christmas train? Or maybe you can link my swap to your party? I am not ready to get swappers going right now but I will by the second.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm such an unfocused crafter, so this kind of thing is great for me. Can't wait to see the Christmasy ideas and tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that patchy striped Christmas tree on its side up there.....is there a pattern or tutorial? -Looks like strip piecing but i had to ask ! I love the slightly wacky tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You're a no-reply blogger so I can't send this via email :(

      I strip-pieced a rectangle [sort of, some of the top strips were smaller] and then just cut it to be the side and angles that I wanted. I knew I wanted a 16" finished pillow cover, so I left enough room at the top and bottom to add white and the appliqued star, and then added the white on the sides as well.

      But if you want more direction than that, I know that Kati has a tutorial on a similar pillow at http://www.fromthebluechair.com/2010/12/tree-pillow-pointers.html although I didn't use that for mine.

      Delete

Messages from friends :)