Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekend Catch-Up

Even though I didn't sew at all last week, I did manage to set aside a few hours yesterday to try and get some things done!

I'm behind on sewing DWR arcs [Kelsey and Jennifer are still kicking butt though!]. I decided that I really didn't want this to feel like something that I was burdened into doing, so if I sew on the arcs as I go along and I'm still short in October after Sewing Summit [which is when we decided to start sewing other parts together] then I will simply add a lot of negative space around the arcs that I do have. Modernize it, if you will. Until that point, I'm going to be happy with the 5 that I did get to sew :)

I put together the top of this pillow cover, which was quick and simple and satisfying. It is to accompany the commissioned quilt. And by accompany, I don't mean that they actually go together. In fact, although they will be used together, I'm fairly certain they're going to clash quite horribly. But hey, the client asked for it. Tomorrow after work I'm going to finish it up with an envelope closure.

And here we have it. The bane of my existence right now. I appreciated all the ideas and comments on how to fix the problems. As you can see, I removed the mustard-colored Echo print, which is definitely an improvement. I also got my hands on some Kona Bone and added that in. I like it more than I did before, but I still think it's pretty blah. Is it because there are too many primary colors? Or because there isn't enough variation in the colors used [ie, add in some lime green and aqua]? I'm also trying to decide if I should add orange...I can't wait to be done with this stupid quilt and get it out of my house! It's really bringing down my quilty mojo.

On a happier note, I've been working on the first few weeks of the Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic Sew-Along that kicks off next Monday! The fabric above is an Amy Butler corduroy!

I'm going to be making two shirts simultaneously because I found this burnt orange linen blend that I couldn't pass up for fall.

Finally, I mentioned last week that my kitten had to have exploratory surgery. They didn't find anything during the surgery to explain why he's so sick, but of course that doesn't mean we don't still have to pay. It's amazing that it's $1000 for a little tiny thing that only weighs 3.5 pounds! So I'm trying to help offset the cost by listing some things outside my normal patterns in my Etsy shop.

I made another "be thankful" hoop.

I'm selling the pillow cover that I made for the Fat Quarterly Sew Britannia issue. It's an original pattern and fits an 18" pillow form. It has a zipper closure.

And I listed a bundle of Cat in the Hat fabrics that I've been collecting to make a quilt like my Grinchmas quilt. But I don't actually know anyone having kids that would warrant me holding onto them. So if you make a lot of baby quilts or have kids then consider picking it up at a discount!

Thanks everyone for your consideration!


  1. That sucks about your kitten. Hope he gets better soon.

  2. yeh, couldn't resist - snatched that cat in the hat real quick :)
    poor kitty!! thats one of the reasons i'm so hesitant to get a pet.. with college loans and living expenses, we couldn't handle that.. ugh, well im hoping for LOTS of sales for you :) you should push your mini's - the holidays are coming im sure you could get lots of custom orders!


Messages from friends :)